Peytonsburg (L 50)
Nearby to the east once stood the community of Peytonsburg, a part of Halifax County when the county was formed in 1752. Peytonsburg was incorporated as a town in 1759 by the Virginia General Assembly and became part of Pittsylvania County in 1766. During the Revolutionary War, by the late 1770s, Peytonsburg was serving as a supply depot for southern colonial troops. Horseshoes and wooden canteens were made there for colonial troops. During the 1780s, Peytonsburg was a terminus of a mail route that ran from the town to Richmond. The inhabitants gradually left the town during the 19th century, and the buildings gradually disappeared.
Department of Historic Resources, 2001.
The marker is located east of Chatham alongside the northbound lane of U. S. 29 Bypass, between the VA 57 and VA 685 exits. It is alongside the marker for Markham. This Peytonsburg marker replaces an earlier one which was positioned at the intersection of VA 57 East and U. S. 29 Business (South Main Street) in Chatham. That earlier marker disappeared, apparently during road construction at the intersection, probably during the 1970's.
The actual site of the old town of Peytonsburg is just off VA 57 where Pittsylvania borders Halifax County, about 11 miles east of the marker.
President George Washington stopped at a public tavern in Peytonsburg on the night of June 4, 1791, as he returned from his southern tour. Having crossed the Dan River at Dix's Ferry that morning, he slept at Peytonsburg, and continued on into Halifax County the next day. (See further information.)
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2002–2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.