CHATHAM — Little Cherrystone, a combination of two dwellings, stands on Rt. 703, about two miles outside of the Pittsylvania County seat.
The interior of Little Cherrystone was described as one of the most elaborate in Southern Virginia by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The home features handcarved woodwork in the parlor with a mantel of sunbursts, fans and columns.
The clapboard section of the house has been dated back to the mid-1700's, while the second portion — a three-story brick addition — was built in the 1790's.
After years in the Wooding family, the landmark was bought by Thomas Fitzgerald in 1857 for his daughter Ellen Moses, whose heirs sold it to Woodall Saunders.
Thomas H. Wooding, who once owned the house, became a justice of the peace in 1801, was commander of the Pittsylvania militia in 1806 and served for 15 years in the Virginia House of Delegates.
This article is presented as one of a series of historic landmarks in the County
Ornamental Cornice Overhangs Frieze
Detail under Eaves of Little Cherrystone
Blacksmith's Nails Connect Clapboards
Research assistance provided by Linda Yeatts Brown, great-granddaughter of T. W. P. and Ellen Moses.
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications and the Sims-Mitchell House B&B, Chatham, Virginia.
Copyright © 1976 The Danville Register.