22 Whittle (6/2005). This Princess Anne house with Eastlake spoolwork detail was built around 1900, and has long been associated with the Christian and Watson families.
26 Whittle (6/2005). This Eastlake-trimmed cottage was built around 1900.
38 Whittle (6/2005). This English Cottage Revival structure (probably from Sears, Roebuck), was built around 1940 by Mr. and Mrs. Herman Henderson. Mr. Henderson was a health department employee who played a significant role in the development of a modern, safe water system for the town of Chatham.
44 Whittle (6/2005). This Homestead-style cottage was built by a carpenter Mr. Allen for his home around 1915. Around 1980 it was purchased by the Mormann family, and thus has only had two owners.
46 Whittle (6/2005). This Dutch Colonial Revival style house was built in the 1920's by the Law family. It sits atop the Italianate brick foundation of the late-1800's Hargrave tobacco factory. (It was earlier part of the property associated with the Hargrave house just up the hill.)
25 Whittle (6/2005). This brick cottage is a conversion of the stable of the surrounding Hargrave estate, after the original structure was damaged by fire around 1920.
39 Whittle (6/2005). This originally was a Cape Cod style house built in 1935 as part of the adjoining Hargrave estate. In the mid-1970's it was remodeled into more of a Virginia Colonial Revival style by the Rev. and Mrs. Paul Folkers. One of its influences was the visitors' center at Patrick Henry's Red Hill Plantation, Brookneal. It is now the Dixon home.
45 Whittle (6/2005). This brick ranch-style house was built around 1970 as the parsonage for the nearby Chatham Baptist Church. It was sold in 2005, and is now the Dalton family residence.
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2005–2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.