Viccellio-Amos House (9/2006). This was the Viccellio home in the 1800's, and the Amos home in the early 1900's. A portion of it is an ancient log structure. It sits on the approximate location of the courthouse tavern identified on a 1779 survey. Thus, this structure may actually be, or contain, that early tavern. For further information, see “Searching for Chatham's First Courthouse.”
Second house on the north side of Ridge Street (9/2006).
9 Ridge Street (9/2006). This Italianate structure, associated with the Boswell family for over sixty years, is now owned by the Michael A. Jones family.
15 Ridge Street (9/2006). A 1779 survey indicates that Chatham's first courthouse sat in the back yard of this home, the Patterson-Allen house. No structural traces of the courthouse remain, only a swag indicating the possible location of an old road bed coming directly to that spot from the courthouse spring below. For further information, see “Searching for Chatham's First Courthouse.”
This house exhibits the form known as a “Piano-Box Victorian House,” with two gable ends flanking a lower connecting section, analagous to the shape of a square Victorian piano.1 Upon careful observation, one notes that it probably was originally very similar in detail to the similarly-shaped two-story Italianate house next door (see immediately above), but a significant amount of that detail is now missing.
19 Ridge Street (9/2006).
21 Ridge Street (9/2006). At the far end of Ridge Street, the Jackson home occupies the approximate position of the “prison” identified on the 1779 courthouse survey. No traces of the old jail building are known to survive. For further information, see “Searching for Chatham's First Courthouse.”
24 Ridge Street (9/2006).
23 Ridge Street (9/2006).
22 Ridge Street (9/2006).
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.