233 North Main (9/2006). This house was built around 1960 as the home of Charles and Frieda Hagberg.
235 North Main (9/2006). This house was constructed in the American Foursquare style for Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Terry (see Terry Fertilizer Warehouse). The original broad front porch has been replaced by a neoclassical portico by current owners Mr. and Mrs. Steve Finkner.
241 North Main (9/2006). In its early years, this house was expanded from a one-story bungalow to a two-story American Foursquare home for attorney Nathaniel Clement and his wife, historian Maud Carter Clement.
247 North Main (9/2006).
253 North Main (9/2006).
267 North Main (9/2006). Old Dutch Supermarket, built during the 1960's by Eddie Marsh as Eddie's Supermarket.
202 North Main (9/2006).
216 North Main (9/2006). The Dr. Richard White house was built in the early 1800's. It is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hurt and family. (See Happy in a World of…Hurts.)
228 North Main (9/2006). Built during the late 1930's for Mr. and Mrs. Frank Allen Terry, this is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Mark Thomas and family. Mr. Terry was grandson of local notable Henry Clay Allen, and carried on many of his grandfather's business interests.
232 North Main (9/2006).
238 North Main (9/2006).
242 North Main (9/2006). Long the home of Henry and Patsy Jane Whitehead Clement, this is now the residence of Lt. Col. and Mrs. Jim McDole.
246 North Main (9/2006).
252 North Main (9/2006). This house, containing both Queen Anne and Neo-Colonial features, was the home of the Rev. Chiswell Dabney1. During the Civil War, Dabney was aide to his cousin, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart. After the war, he joined his brother Charles, an attorney in Chatham, and became an attorney himself. Still later he became a beloved clergyman in the Episcopal church, serving many local congregations and playing an instrumental role in the establishment of Chatham Episcopal Institute (Chatham Hall).
Chiswell Dabney was also a cousin of Chiswell Dabney “Chillie” Langhorne, father of Lady Nancy Langhorne Astor and Irene Langhorne Gibson (the “Gibson Girl”).
256 North Main (9/2006).
262 North Main (9/2006).
270 North Main (9/2006). The Canada-Chaney House was built around 1900 on the former site of the 1857 Chatham Baptist Church, which had burned. The house's owners have included Canadas, Sours, Meltons, and Chaneys.
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2005–2007 Patricia B. Mitchell.