North Main Street
Chatham, Virginia

Edited by Henry Mitchell.

East Side of the First Block


East Side of First Block of North Main

The east side of the first block of North Main Street, as seen from the Court Place intersection (6/2005).



1 North Main

1 North Main (6/2005). Pittsylvania County Courthouse, built 1853, is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places. It was constructed by L. A. Shumaker, contains elaborate internal plaster work by Louis Justin Imhoff, and is graced with external ornamental ironwork by Jacob Sours.



Confederate Memorial

Pittsylvania County's Confederate memorial stands on the lawn on the north side of the Courthouse (6/2005).



21 North Main

21 North Main (6/2005). The Moses Building is used as a government office building by Pittsylvania County. It is named for the late Alpheus Moses, long-time county administrator.

Oliver Hardware occupied an earlier structure which was replaced by this building. The top floor of the hardware store building hosted the local telephone exchange. A Mrs. Walker was the long-time operator who answered “Number, please,” and connected the telephone calls manually.2



31 and 33 North Main

31 and 33 North Main (6/2005).



37 North Main

37 North Main (6/2005).



Kiosk

Kiosk (6/2005). At the corner of the parking lot is seen a local information kiosk. Here is also found a marker for the Bilharz, Hall, and Co. weapons factory, which was active during the Civil War. The site of the factory was near the rear of the present parking lot.



59-61 North Main

59-61 North Main (6/2005). The Masonic Lodge was built in 1858 as a Greek Revival structure. A neoclassical facade was added around 1915-1920.



65 North Main

65 North Main (6/2005).



69 North Main

69 North Main (6/2005). This cottage was built around 1918-1920 by Lawson Carter.1



73 North Main

73 North Main (6/2005). This American Foursquare was built around 1910 by Dr. Coleman Bennett (see further information).



East Side of First Block of North Main

The east side of the first block of North Main Street, as seen from the Lanier Street intersection (6/2005).



West Side of the First Block


West Side of First Block of North Main

The west side of the first block of North Main Street, as seen from the Court Place intersection (6/2005). (See also a 1965 photograph of the same location.)



2 North Main

2 North Main (6/2005).



8 North Main

8 North Main (6/2005).



10 North Main

10 North Main (6/2005).



12 North Main

12 North Main (6/2005).



14-16-18 North Main

14-16-18 North Main (6/2005).



22 North Main

22 North Main (6/2005).



28 North Main

28 North Main (6/2005).



30 North Main

30 North Main (6/2005).



32 North Main

32 North Main (6/2005).



34 North Main

34-36 North Main (6/2005).



52 North Main

Fountain in the parking lot (6/2005).



60 North Main

60 North Main (6/2005). This Neo-Colonial style brick structure also is related to the American Foursquares form.



66 North Main

66 North Main (6/2005). Emmanuel Episcopal Church.



West Side of First Block of North Main

The west side of the first block of North Main Street, as seen from the Church Street intersection (6/2005).



Source

  1. Irene Griffith Sours, Homes in Chatham, Virginia, 1923–1977, Chatham, Virginia, 1977.
  2. Frank Taylor, Chatham, Virginia, 2007.

This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.