7 Court Place — Hargrave-Nenon House (6/2005). The first portion of the house was constructed by James Johnson in 1782, and several additions and renovations have followed under owners Richard Johnson, William Tunstall, Jesse Hamlin Hargrave, J. Hunt Hargrave, and Gladys Hargrave Nenon. The current styling includes a Neoclassical facade.
The house achieved regional fame during a highly publicized court battle in 1936. (See further information.)
12 Court Place (6/2005). The oldest (front) Gothic-styled portion of Chatham Baptist Church was constructed during 1890 and dedicated in June 1891. It replaced an 1857 Greek Revival structure which stood at 270 North Main Street.
16 Court Place (6/2005). The brick Tredway-Whitehead House (now Chatham's Town Hall) is a Victorian original structure peering out from behind a later-added massive Craftsman-style porch.
Looking along Court Place from Town Hall back toward the Pittsylvania County Courthouse (6/2005).
Entrance off Court Place to Frances Hurt Park, behind Town Hall (6/2005). Frances Hurt Park is named in honor of local author and historian Frances Hallam Hurt.
1813 Clerk's Office at rear of 16 Court Place (6/2005), at the near end of Frances Hurt Park. The Clerk's office was built in a Colonial Virginia Vernacular style. The right end of the building is original; the center and left portions have been reconstructed. It is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Picnic shelter in Frances Hurt Park (6/2005).
Gazebo in Frances Hurt Park (6/2005).
Tobacco barn in Frances Hurt Park (6/2005).
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2005–2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.