Industrialist and philanthropist J. Hunt Hargrave, in an image from a postcard, with his home in the background. See also larger image. (Photo from the collection of Frank Taylor, Chatham, Virginia.)
Pruden Hall, on the Chatham Episcopal Institute / Chatham Hall campus (image from a postcard).
One car is shown in front of the Chatham Savings Bank, directly across Main Street from the Bennett Hotel. The photograph is from the Glenn B. Updike, Sr., Collection of the Pittsylvania Historical Society, and is undated.
In a June 29, 2006 message, David Roach (Porter's Auto Parts, Danville) advises, “The Car is a 1920–1921 Hudson. The upside-down triangle in the center top of the grille gives it away.”
From the early 1920's, this photograph depicts a train with 30 cars of fertilizer in 200-pound sacks being delivered to the Terry Fertilizer Warehouse.(The photograph is from the collection of the late Garland Turner. See further Terry Warehouse photos from the period.)
From a postcard published by Thompson Drug Co., this image was originally captioned, “Parade, May Day, 1923, Chatham Episcopal Institute Campus, Chatham, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.”
This 2002 photograph shows a frog-themed metal advertising sign, probably from the late 1920's, for Chatham Savings Bank. It is from the collection of Henry Hurt.
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2001–2008 Patricia B. Mitchell.