Berry Hill is situated 5 1/4 miles to the south on the Dan River. The original portion of the main house was built in 1745 and there have been several additions. The property was used as a hospital for General Nathanael Greene's army during the spring of 1781, following the Battle of Guilford Court House.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, 1976.
The marker is located on the south side of US 58 near its intersection with VA 863 at Callahan's Hill west of Danville. (Do not confuse this Berry Hill in Pittsylvania County with the later Berry Hill Plantation to the east in Halifax County, near South Boston.)
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications and the Sims-Mitchell House, Chatham, Virginia.
Copyright © 2002 Henry H. Mitchell.