Oakland is located on the west side of U.S. 29 between Tightsqueeze and Dry Fork, Virginia, two miles south of Chatham, along the Banister River.
The structure was built in the late 1700's by either Jesse Carter or his son Joseph as the plantation home for a large tract of land. The house remained in the Carter family for over a century. Its neoclassical portico was added in the early 1900's, and the north wing (to the right) was built in the mid-1900's. The property is currently owned by Dr. and Mrs. Asur Grisales.
This November 2005 photograph shows the east (front) side of Oakland.
Clement: History of Pittsylvania County, Virginia
Fitzgerald: Pittsylvania: Homes and People of the Past
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications and the Sims-Mitchell House, Chatham, Virginia.
Copyright © 2005 Patricia B. Mitchell.