Jesse Mustain House
The Jesse Mustain House is a Southside Virginia plantation manor home on 24.23 acres, part of an original land grant from King George II, and eligible for listing in Virginia Landmarks and National Register. The house is one of the oldest homes in Pittsylvania County. It is fully restored and updated for modern living while retaining historical significance and charm. It contains over 3,000 square feet total living space, 3 / 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, a fabulous custom kitchen, formal rooms, office, mudroom, first floor laundry.
The first floor of the colonial portion of this house was constructed circa 1750 and is built of fieldstone, most of it probably gathered from nearby Stinking River. These walls are 18" thick and are a double row of stone. Remnants of the hand hewn, pegged construction remain, including the original 1750 summer beam. The second and third floors are timber frame, built circa 1770's. The south two story wing was constructed circa 1900.
Special colonial-era features include original hogshair and mud plaster in excellent condition, heart pine flooring, heart pine wainscot with center board a full 24", some original doors and hardware, 9 over 9 and 6 over 6 windows with original blown glass, 4 fireplaces, heart pine hand carved mantles, and third floor rooms have private staircases. This home also features new central heat and air, well, electrical wiring and plumbing.
The 24.23 acres front a paved county road and are bordered by live water on two sides: Stinking River and Joe's Creek. Approximately 9 acres are open — perfect for horses. The woods are a mix of pine groves and mixed hardwood including one old growth oak and old growth cedars. The garage/workshop/barn is 40 x 30, log sided, with underground water and electric. The garage door is insulated Williamsburg-style with electric opener. Carport to the side. There are 4 dependencies with clapboard siding currently used for storage. In addition to the new well, a very old 90-foot hand-dug well remains. To the south of the house yard is the old colonial roadbed which runs ran west towards Gretna and east to Hickey's Road. This property is located not quite a mile from state highway and a short five minute drive to town conveniences.
This is a lovely setting with majestic mature maple trees shielding the house from the road. There is a circle gravel drive with plenty of parking space. Jonquils, tulips, and ivy line the front walk to the flagstone 10 x 24 foot front porch. There is a custom designed white picket fence with gate arbors. A gazebo is in the back yard. French doors from living room lead to a flagstone floored arbor with vintage columns and wisteria. Two giant holly trees provide plenty of branches for festive holiday decorating and year round enjoyment. The property is fully landscaped. Plantings include: azalea, rhododendron, camellia, andromeda, bayberry, crape myrtle, rose of sharon, forsythia, crab apple, redbud, tulip poplar, pyracantha, roses, lilac, spirea, sweet shrub, boxwood, cleyera, Virginia sweetspire, red honeysuckle, Yoshino cherry, euonymus, jasmine, nandina, and a rainbow of spring bulbs, oriental lilies, hybrid daylilies, and perennials.
Note: The above description was prepared in 2002 when the property was offered for sale.
This webpage is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2002 Gary and Susan Kottwitz.