Ingleside, built in 1844 by Dr. Chesley Martin, is remembered as the boyhood home of his son Lt. Col. Rawley W. Martin, C.S.A., commander of the 53rd Virginia Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg. He and the Chatham Greys took the farthest point in the Confederate Army's advance that day, a brief accomplishment that is referred to as the “high-water mark of the Confederacy.” The modern address of the house is 24 Hargrave Boulevard.
During the early 1900's the house served briefly as the main building of Chatham Training School, which later was renamed Hargrave Military Academy. The campus of the school is now a half block west of Ingleside.
For many years Ingleside has been the private home of the Tucker family.
A streetside view of Ingleside, from the north.
View from the southeast. The east side of the house originally faced to Main Street, but in the early 1900's three other homes were built on the long front lawn.
A closer view of the porch.
This webpage is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2005–2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.