Old Library
Chatham, Virginia

By Henry H. Mitchell

Old Chatham Library

The former library building in Chatham, Virginia, built in 1939 in memory of James Douglas Bruce (see plaque below, and also Helen Melton's history), is of the Colonial Revival architectural style. (Compare with the post office, constructed slightly earlier.)

Standing on the east side of the 300 Block of South Main Street, it is now used as the office of the Pittsylvania County registrar.



Bruce Plaque

Dedicatory plaque:

This library has been established in memory of James Douglas Bruce (1862-1923), distinguished Virginian, scholar, and author.

For more on the Bruce family, see Staunton Hill.



This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.