This Greek Revival building was erected in 1853 as the third court house of Pittsylvania County. The county, formed in 1767, and the town were named for William Pitt, first Earl of Chatham. The present court house replaced a structure built in 1783 one block west where the old office of the clerk still stands. The court was removed to this locality from Callands in 1777.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission 1974.
The marker is located in the town of Chatham in Pittsylvania County, Virginia. It is in front of the Pittsylvania County Courthouse, on the east side of U. S. 29 Business (Main Street).
This webpage is sponsored by Mitchells Publications and the Sims-Mitchell House, Chatham, Virginia.
Copyright © 2002 Patricia B. Mitchell.