Pittsylvania was cut off from Halifax in 1767 and the courthouse built here. In 1769 a town named Chatham was established here on land of James Roberts. A few years later Samuel Calland opened a store and the town took his name. In 1777 Henry County was cut off from Pittsylvania, and the county seat moved to Competition, more centrally located. The name Competition became Chatham in 1874.
Virginia Conservation Commission, 1948
The marker is located at the intersection of VA 57 and VA 969, approximately ten miles west of Chatham.
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications and the Sims-Mitchell House, Chatham, Virginia.
Copyright © 2002–2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.