Delly Eastwood of Keeling alerted naturalist Bill Hathaway to this stone back in 1979, at which time Hathaway took the photographs, and later provided them to this writer, along with their story. The stone once sat at the corner of VA 360 and VA 701 (Slatesville Road), having apparently served as a road marker for early-1800's travelers.
One face of the stone bears the inscription “ Left to Beavers 8 mi,” and an adjoining face has the markings “Rite to Linches [Lynchburg] 60 mi.”
If a traveler had been coming from Richmond toward Danville, at that marker he would have faced a fork in the road. To turn right (north) on present-day Slatesville Road would have oriented the traveler toward Lynchburg, probably by way of either Java or Peytonsburg. A turn left at the fork could have taken the traveler briefly along present-day VA 360 and then along VA 716 to Beavers Tavern, the site of which is on US 29 Business just south of the VA 719 intersection. That journey would have been about 8 miles, as the marker indicates.
The old stone marker is a rare artifact and reminder of Pittsylvania County's early road system.
This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications and the Sims-Mitchell House, Chatham, Virginia.
Copyright © 2004 Henry H. Mitchell.